20 September 2019

00:00:00 (GMT+5)

Tashkent +20,8 °C

Events
7 Sep  2019 513

Indian mission "Chandrayan-2": landing module lost, but work will continue

The Indian Chandrayan-2 lunar mission will continue to study the Earth’s satellite, despite the loss of the Vikram landing module.

The Indian Space Research Organization (ISRO) reported that only 5% of the mission was lost. It can not be called unsuccessful, since the orbital vehicle will operate on the moon for almost a year.

"Only 5% of the mission was lost - the Vikram lander and the Pragyan lunar rover, while the Chandrayan-2 orbiter - the remaining 95% - successfully continues to operate in the moon’s orbit," the representative of ISRO said.

For the first time, India tried to land the vehicle on another celestial body, and the experience that the country gained while planning this lunar expedition will be used in preparing the next missions, including to Mars.

Chandrayan-2 Moon Expedition is by far the most ambitious Indian space expedition.

Similar news

Click on the button below to listen to the text Powered by GSpeech